My five favorite TV shows, movies, tweeters, and songs from 2018
Part of me likes high-culture (opera, ballet, classical music). But I have a Mr Hyde – and he likes junk sci-fi, Netflix dramas, hip-hop and EDM. Yes, I’m several decades too old for that kind of music – but ever since I switched from Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin to The O’Jays and Luther Vandross in the 1970s, my taste in music has been very urban.
Likewise, with TV – I love documentaries and highbrow (BBC) shows. But you know what? After a day reading and writing non-fiction, I want to switch off more than switch on.
Here are my lists – for 2018. Oh, and here is Obama’s. Obama’s top movies, books, and songs
5 top Twitter accounts
- Tom Nichols @radiofreetom– a lapsed Republican and intellectual becomes one of Trumps harshest critics. Author of Death of Expertise.
- Bernie Sanders @SenSanders – We need his voice. I don’t agree with everything by a long shot, but the US needs an intelligent, articulate, passionate, and uncorrupted voice from the far left.
- Nate Silver @NateSilver538 – Superstar statistician (and former poker pro) uses data-driven analysis of politics, sports, and science.
- Scott Kelly @StationCDRKelly – Dude runs the ISS. Amazing photos. Great insights.
- Annie Duke @annieduke – The best quotes on Twitter – Feynman, Aurelius, Tetlock – the best insights into decision-making.
5 Best Songs of 2018
- Logic – AfricAryaN ft. Neil de Grasse Tyson
- Juice Wrld – Lucid Dreams and Wasted (he gets 2!)
- Travis Scott – Stargazing
- French Montana – No Stylist ft. Drake
- J Cole – KOD
5 Best TV Shows of 2018 (ok, seven)
With apologies to Handmaids Tale and Black Mirror – which I did not finish.
- Ozark – Jason Bateman kills it in this dark battle between cartels, and backwoods rednecks.
- Killing Eve – BBC at its finest. On the surface a show about a beautiful female assassin (yawn), but the quirky humor makes it great watching. (I finished the whole season in an evening!)
- Dark (Dunkel) – a German Stranger Things. Darker (doh). Watched it in German for giggles.
- Westworld Season 2 – after a slow and confusing start in episode 1, as dope as the first season.
- Who – We now have a female Dr. who crushes it. I first watched this show in 1963! Some say it is too political now. I say go back to the Brady Bunch then.
- Expanse – Season 3. The first few episodes of Season 1 were so-so, then the writers hit their stride and wow! An elegantly created future solar system with Mars, Earth, and the Asteroid Belt at war with each other and an alien presence.
- Rick and Morty, Bojack Horseman – just in case you thought I lost my sense of humor.
5 Best movies of 2018
I watch movies mostly with my kids. No Hungarian directors, or Arab stars – car chases and sci-fi for us. A very pedestrian collection, suitable for an eight- and fourteen-year-old.
- BlackKKKlansman – Spike Lee manages to be political and subtly hilarious in this timely release of a black police officer infiltrating the KKK (yes, really.)
- Black Panther – Marvel does it again. Watch this for the incredible costumes and photography. (Ok, ok and a bit of fighting.)
- Christopher Robin – I was dreading this. Am very glad my eight-year-old is growing up so I no longer have to sit through Disney claptrap. It was full of charm and humor. Delightful!
- First Man – I was 8 when we landed on the moon. That (and Star Trek) shaped my worldview immensely. This is what humanity can do at its finest.
- Annihilation – Natalie Portman and Tessa Thompson crush it. There was lots of bad sci-fi in 2018, this poked its head above the crowd.
OK – tell me what I’ve missed. Your fave TV, music, and movies from 2018?