Listen to our podcast on atheism, spirituality, leadership, and consciousness
Are spirituality and atheism incompatible? Today’s guest – philosopher, speaker, and author Nick Jankel – would argue no. Nick broke with organized religion at a young age, but the rest of his life has been spent filling this gap with all of the things that typically come along with organized religion– including community and belonging – sans the dogmatic teachings.
In this episode, we spend some time talking about growing up – how in life you find your purpose and (at least in my case and Nick’s) must do battle with some psychological dragons along the way. Alongside that, “growing up” is the development of a career, and Nick talks about how his career was shaped by insights from his “spiritual” development (although he hates that word and its many unwieldy connotations).
In the final half of the episode, we get into Nick’s ideas on business leadership, a topic he gives keynote speeches about to audiences around the world. His big insight, which we discuss at length, is the difference between what he calls the “Control and Protect” and “Create and Connect” modes of leadership. We talk about how those tie into the epistemological views we discuss, how they have neurological correlates, and how you can practically apply them to your life and business.
What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- How spiritual and personal development are related.
- How Nick’s experience in Africa was transformational.
- What consciousness is, and the critical differences between the materialist perspective and other views.
- Why Nick shifted from purely materialist views to a dualist perspective.
- What the two modes (Control and Protect, Create and Connect) mean for leadership.
- Why understanding and applying these two modes of problem-solving is critical in the face of our changing world.
I’m raffling off books every week for people who leave the podcast a review on iTunes. Let me know the title of your review to be entered to win by emailing me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Featured on the Show:
If you would love to support the show in another way, please check out my Patreon site.
- Nick’s website: Switch On
- Nick on Facebook
- Nick on Twitter
- Nick on YouTube
- Nick on Instagram
- The Spiritual Atheist: A Quest to Unite Science and Wisdom into a Radical New Life Philosophy to Thrive in the Digital Age by Nick Jankel
- Religion in Modern Britain: Changing Sociological Assumptions by Grace Davie
- Truth Wars by Paul Gibbons
- Kamikaze — Eminem
- Young Sinatra IV — Logic
- Tha Carter V — Lil Wayne
- Sir Edward Elgar
- BlacKkKlansman by Spike Lee
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review in iTunes.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!