Listen to our podcast on behavioral science and organizational change!
Behavioral science is super hot right now in the business world. If you follow me closely, you know that this topic is a passion of mine and makes up a chapter in my upcoming book, IMPACT (which will be available for pre-order on Amazon on April 1st, 2019).
I’m super excited to talk with today’s guest, Dr. Kelly Monahan, about behavioral science in business and her new, behemoth book How Behavioral Economics Influences Management Decision-Making: A New Paradigm.
Dr. Kelly Monahan is a manager and subject matter specialist at Deloitte’s Center for Integrated Research. Her research focuses on the intersections of behavioral economics and talent issues within organizations. Prior to joining Deloitte, Kelly was an HR business partner supporting the CFO of Hartford Funds, and she holds her Ph.D. in organizational leadership with an emphasis in human resource development.
Dr. Monahan and I talk about why she decided to write the definitive text on behavioral science in business and what inspired her to start studying it in the first place. We discuss extrinsic versus intrinsic motivation and what’s better for employee’s health and performance; the psychological state of the workforce today; and how to apply behavioral science to organizational change and development. This episode is absolutely packed with information about the history of behavioral science and its ascent in the business world – it’s a great way to get up to speed on today’s hottest corporate topic.
I talk about two podcasts in the show – the one with Annie Duke, Thinking in Bets and with Daniel Blum, On the Bus Odyssey through South America.
Erratum: The Maritz with a CBO is a firm specializing in incentive schemes, and the CBO is Charlotte Blank. (I said it was an ad agency.)
What You’ll Learn about Behavioral Science from this Episode:
- How retraining MBA students for the real workplace helped inspire Dr. Monahan to study behavioral science.
- Whether extrinsic or intrinsic motivation is better for employees and their creativity.
- Why the workforce is starting to demand more from their work.
- How marketers have been using behavioral science for decades.
- Why the business world is particularly infatuated with behavioral science right now.
- How behavioral science can help managers build healthier relationships in the workplace and benefit employees.
- What behavioral science means for management, habits, and cultural change.
Featured on the Show:
If you would love to support the show in another way, please check out my Patreon site.
- Dr. Kelly Monahan | Deloitte’s Center for Integrated Research
- How Behavioral Economics Influences Management Decision-Making: A New Paradigm by Kelly Monahan
- The Future is Asian with Parag Khanna
- Is Plastic Pollution a Threat to Our Oceans or Us? with Julie Andersen of Plastic Oceans International
- Making decisions in VUCA times – lessons from top poker pro Annie Duke
- Cultural Tourism the Millennial Way: South America by School Bus with Dan Blum
- Bad Management Theories Are Destroying Good Management Practices by Sumantra Ghoshal
- Deci and Ryan’s Self-Determination Theory
- Dan Pink
- Punished By Rewards: The Trouble with Gold Stars, Incentive Plans, A’s, Praise, and other Bribes by Alfie Kohn
- John B. Watson
- Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
- Nudge: Improving Decisions about Health, Wealth, and Happiness by Richard Thaler and Cass Sunstein
- Dan Ariely
- Nassim Taleb
- Work Rules!: Insights from Inside Google That Will Transform How You Live and Lead by Laszlo Block
- John Seely Brown
- Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs
- False Prophets: The Gurus Who Created Modern Management And Why Their Ideas Are Bad For Business Today by James Hoopes
- Thinking in Bets: Making Smarter Decisions When You Don’t Have All the Facts by Annie Duke
- Social Technologies in Business: Connect, Share, Lead by Isabel De Clercq
- The Age of Agile: How Smart Companies Are Changing the Way Work Gets Done by Stephen Dennings
- Breaking Bad on Netflix
- HAPPY! on SyFy
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher, Spotify or RSS.
- Leave us a review in iTunes.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!